Interview: Photographer Bruna Alexandra (UK)
Interviews / Stories
Tell us something about yourself How and when did you get into photography?
- I got into photography when I was very young, my mom got me a compact camera and I loved dressing up my family and friends and taking pictures of them and every time we had a family road trip I would take photos of the landscape.
What does photography mean to you?
- To me photography is one of the only ways I can truly express myself, I always have so much fun with the preparation of the photoshoot from coming up with a theme, location and casting. When I see the final images it just makes me so proud every time of how far I have come since I was a little girl.
Please briefly describe your photography style for our readers.
- I not to sure I can specify my style but I would say it’s different. I try to experiment as much as I can with different looks but always keeping to a fashion or editorial theme.
Where do you get inspiration from?
- I normally get inspiration from magazines and whenever I go somewhere I can imagine what pictures I would take.
Do you think in advance what you want in the picture?
- Definitely, however sometimes that doesn’t always happen and I think that is a good thing as I know what I want but I also incorporate my style into the shot.
Studio, on location or both?
- I love shooting on location, I would say 95% of my shoots are on location.
Would you consider yourself a hobbyist or a paid professional?
- I would say I’m a professional however I still have much to learn and I keep learning new things everyday.
What has been your most memorable session and why?
- Oh wow I have so many but I would have to choose both shoots of the images in this magazine one I had to compete with England’s cold weather and the other with Portugal’s super hot weather but I still had so much fun with these and I love the outcome!
What has been the biggest source of inspiration in your work?
- Mario Testino and Russell James are my biggest inspirations and I try to learn as much as I can from their work. I also love Lara Jade and Jessica Kobeissi’s work. I would say these four photographers are my ultimate inspiration for my work.
Nikon or Canon? Favorite lens?
- Canon! My favorite lenses are 85mm 1.2 and 50mm 1.4
What is one piece of advice you would like to offer a new photographer looking to start their own business?
- I would say that no matter what don’t give up and learn from your mistakes. Cliché I know but I really believe that this helped me in my journey.
What do you think of our new magazine?
- I am in love with this magazine; I really can’t describe how happy I am to be a part of this magazine.